we were at the beach and my daughter ate some sand. we immediately got what we could out of her mouth and washed it out but is there anything else that we should be worried about or do at this point?

asked 03 Feb '10, 21:19

oo's gravatar image

accept rate: 0%

  1. Don't panic
  2. Watch your kid if any indigestion or fever appears over the next days
  3. Be glad that being totally sterile and antiseptic about everything does not make sense anymore
  4. Be glad that you boosted your child's immune system
  5. ...
  6. Profit!!

(Sorry, had to work that meme in)


answered 04 Feb '10, 08:46

brandstaetter's gravatar image

accept rate: 24%

edited 04 Feb '10, 12:37

wish i could +2 this, one for "Don't panic" and one for working the meme in :)

(04 Feb '10, 16:15) Anne

+1 for the link explaining what a meme is! i was able to laugh once i knew!

(23 Aug '10, 19:53) DazedandConfused

Both my kids have also eaten sand on occasion without any health impacts. When I would be concerned was if the beach wasn't safe for swimming or there were known issues with the beach.

I wouldn't encourage them to eat it though.


answered 04 Feb '10, 01:28

K%20D's gravatar image

accept rate: 13%

Things my kids would eat when toddlers:

  • sand
  • dirt
  • dead bugs
  • live bugs that would hold still long enough
  • worms
  • anything they could stuff in their mouths that would make bigger people cringe (at least our cat boxes have always been in a baby inaccesable part of our house, my best friend fished her toddler out of theirs and spent the next 2 weeks gagging everytime she thought about it! He, however, was fine.)

Things my kids would not eat as toddlers

  • anything that was actually food and you wanted them too, unless the first ingrediant was cheese, or sugar.

My oldest son is 17, 6 feet tall, and 180 pounds of too-smart-for-his-own-good-pain-in-the-butt, so it apparently didn't do him any harm.

The best thing to do in this situation is be philosophical and remember that this too shall pass. :) (and don't let them play with play-doh, unless you want to change technicolour diapers!)


answered 04 Feb '10, 21:24

Neen's gravatar image

accept rate: 30%

We live on the beach and my 2 year old has had a ton of sand in her digestive system... She's fine and beautiful!


answered 21 Aug '10, 23:44

kelley's gravatar image

accept rate: 0%

edited 22 Aug '10, 09:17

Scott's gravatar image

Scott ♦♦

My daughter ate some sand and it came out in her diaper. (I hope she doesn't read this some day.) That was years ago. She's fine. No trip to the doctor was necessary.


answered 03 Feb '10, 23:36

Phil's gravatar image

accept rate: 8%

I haven't been able to find any reference to suggest that a toddler can be significantly harmed by eating sand. Our daughter ate a little sand while we were camping and has been fine.

I would suggest that unless she appears to be craving sand or other non-food items, which could be a sign of pica or (according to wikianswers) a possible sign of vitamin/mineral deficiency, I wouldn't worry about it.


answered 04 Feb '10, 01:32

Tammy's gravatar image

Tammy ♦♦
accept rate: 18%

I would say either call Poison Control and ask them or just keep a close eye on her and if you see any disturbing symptoms call her doctor.


answered 03 Feb '10, 21:36

mkcoehoorn's gravatar image

accept rate: 8%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here



Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported



Asked: 03 Feb '10, 21:19

Seen: 44,006 times

Last updated: 29 Aug '10, 22:58