I would like to know how other parents know if their baby or young child has swallowed or has a cat or dog hair lodged in their throat.

Are there certain signs to look out for? With older children I can understand that the problem may be communicated, but I am wondering how it works with smaller children.

Also, is it dangerous and what,(if any) are the complications that can arise from swallowing pet hair?

Any advice tips and previous experiences shared would greatly welcomed.

asked 01 Dec '10, 07:36

Emi's gravatar image

Emi
11.1k64978
accept rate: 19%


We noticed that our son (1.5 years now) clearly communicates if he has a hair in his mouth and wants it removed. He splutters, sticks his tongue out and rubs it with his fingers. We have not noticed any problems after he swallowed a hair. I would say if it is not too much (a whole furball?) it would just move through the digestive tract and show up later in the diaper if it is a longer hair (might be a bit... icky).

Most pets have short hair, so if the child does not eat huge amounts regularely I would guess that it is no problem (allergies excluded).

link

answered 01 Dec '10, 08:04

brandstaetter's gravatar image

brandstaetter
2.8k1623
accept rate: 24%

Your answer
toggle preview

Follow this question

By Email:

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here

By RSS:

Answers

Answers and Comments

Markdown Basics

  • *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags:

×84
×65
×11
×7
×6

Asked: 01 Dec '10, 07:36

Seen: 9,690 times

Last updated: 01 Dec '10, 08:04